What will be the best time to see a shower of stars in Catalonia? Will you be able to see an eclipse in the territory this year? Prepare the binoculars, telescopes and special glasses to see eclipses because this 2022 is loaded with astronomical ephemeris.
Below are some of the most important events that will take place this year in the astronomical field. In addition, from the Montsec Astronomical Park, throughout the year, you can observe the majesty of the universe through different activities.
WINTER – THE EARTH AND THE SUN CLOSER THAN EVER
– January 4: The perihelion (minimum space between a body and the solar system) between the earth and the sun was 147,105,053 km, this distance is one of the closest that a planet has ever been to a star.
Total lunar eclipse - Source: Wikipedia
SPRING – MOON ECLIPSE
– May 16: There will be a total lunar eclipse that can be seen throughout Spain, shortly before the moon sets.
– Early May: Predictions indicate that comet C/2021 O3 PanSTARRS, discovered last year, will be visible even without a telescope. As for the date, everything indicates that it would be around early evening.
– June 14: Another major event during the spring will be the Perigee Moon (SuperMoon), which will look bigger and brighter than usual. It will be the second closest of the year, to see it even closer we will have to wait until the summer.
The Rosalind Franklin Rover to be sent to Mars - Source: Wikipedia
SUMMER – METEOR SHOW
– From July 17 to August 24: In summer comes one of the most magical moments of the year, the Perseid meteor shower popularly known as ‘Tears of Saint Lawrence’. It is estimated that the maximum splendor will occur during the night of August 11-12.
– August 25: The Montsec Astronomical Park will commemorate the two hundredth anniversary of the death of William Herschel, who was the person who discovered Uranus, with a special event.
– Between August and October: Search for life on Mars. The Rosalind Franklin Rover is scheduled to be launched on the red planet at the end of the summer. A robotic astromobile that will look for possible indicators of life on the planet Mars and, therefore, represents a very important step for the study of space.
Total solar eclipse - Source: Wikipedia
AUTUMN – THE MOST INTENSE METEOR SHOWER
– December 7-17: The most intense Germínd meteor shower of the year will occur, reaching up to 150 meteors per hour, although the night of December 13-14 will be at its most intense. This ephemeris can be seen in a large part of Catalonia and the Balearic Islands.
– October 25: Partial solar eclipse that will be visible in a large part of Catalonia and the Balearic Islands.